Winter Chopped Salad for Secret Recipe Club

For this months Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned the blog 'The Culinary Enthusiast" who's tag line is: "For the love of cooking & more importantly, eating." (LOVE that).

I had a fun time going through all of Kelley's wonderful recipes that she has listed on her site and to me it sounds like we have a lot in common regarding our way of cooking and thinking about food.  Kelley likes to develop her own recipes as much as I do so I sincerely hope she doesn't mind me tweaking her recipe for her "Autumn Chopped Salad" just a wee bit.

With all the holiday rich and sweet foods we've been consuming, this recipe spoke to me as being something healthy and clean. Something much needed to cleanse our palette and remind us of how lovely and refreshing a good bowl of delicious vegetables and fruits really, truly are.

I mixed up a light vinaigrette to top the salad just prior to serving and the results were even better than I had imagined.  My husband loved this salad so much (of course, it has bacon in it) that he's requested that I bring it to Christmas dinner at my sister-in-laws house.  That alone speaks volumes of how delicious this chopped salad is.  Plus, just look at all these fantastic colors...

Winter Chopped Salad Recipe


Here's how I made what I'll like to call:

WINTER CHOPPED SALAD       {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

2 bunches Romaine, chopped
2 medium pears, diced small 
2 Plum tomatoes, diced small
1 cup dried cranberries, cherries and blueberries
1 pound cooked, chopped bacon (drained on paper towels)
1 -1/2 cup chopped pecans
6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
-In a large skilled, cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels until you're ready to assemble the rest of your ingredients.
-In a large bowl add all of the chopped fruits and vegetables along with the dried fruit, bacon, cheese and nuts.
-Toss well to combine.
-Right before serving, allow each person to spoon on their own vinaigrette.

HONEY DIJON VINAIGRETTE
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

-Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
-Shake well to combine and emulsify all ingredients.


Winter Chopped Salad Recipe


Thank you for inspiring me to make this salad Kelley.  It really is a winner and one that I will make through the other 3 seasons as well :)

Until we eat again,




 




























Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,