Spiced Peach Sour Cream Coffee Cake

With this being my third involvement with #baketogether, and knowing what delicious delicacies Abby comes up with, I was excited to get this recipe underway.  As soon as I had read the original recipe over at abbydodge.com I knew exactly how I had wanted to switch things up a little to make it "my way"..

Spiced Peach Coffee Cake Recipe

I think one of the most exciting things I've learned about myself from becoming involved in #baketogether is that, even knowing that I'm not going to partake in the actual eating and enjoyment of the finished product (I'm on a pretty strict diet right now), I  sincerely enjoy the actual process of baking (the measuring, blending, artistry etc.) as much, if not more, than the completed product itself!  Of course it certainly doesn't hurt that I got to share this beautiful coffee cake with my sister and her husband as well as my own family of men.  Share the love I say!

The way I switched things up in this recipe was to add chopped canned peaches (fresh would have been better, but I had canned in the pantry and wanted to use them up) and I added chopped pecans into the streusel.  I add nuts to as many dishes (savory and sweet) as I possibly can. I'm a nut lover from way back!

I also added a splash of almond extract (see, there's that nut theme again) and I substituted all-spice for the ground cloves for a slightly lighter flavor intensity.



SPICED PEACH SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE     {PRINT THIS RECIPE}


2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon all-spice
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1-1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 can sliced peaches (in water), drained and rough chopped

-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
-Lightly grease a 9" square baking dish.
-In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and all-spice. Whisk until blended.
-In a large bowl with an electric mixer or paddle attachment on a stand mixer, blend the butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract until combined well.
-Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition remembering to scrape the bowl on occasion.
-Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, one half at a time, and blend until well incorporated.
-Add the sour cream and blend until all the ingredients are combined.
-Using a spatula, hand mix the ingredients to insure they are well incorporated even from the bottom of the bowl.
-Scrape half of the batter into your prepared pan and spread evenly.
-Carefully add your chopped peaches on top of the batter, making sure they're in an even layer.
-Set aside and make the streusel.

To make the streusel:

2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
4 tablespoons melted butter

-In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix with your hands until it forms a crumbly topping.
-Add a nice layer of struesel over the layer of peaches.
-Top the layer of peaches and struesel with the remaining batter.
-Using an off-set spatula, carefully "skate" the spatula over the batter ( by not lifting your spatula off the batter it makes it easier to not displace your struesel).
-Sprinkle the remaining struesel evenly over top of the batter.
-Bake in your preheated oven for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
-Cook on a wire rack until warm or at room temperature.







Spiced Peach Coffee Cake Recipe

Just by looking at this coffee cake you can tell how moist and yummy it is!  Hmmm, come to think of it, "moist and yummy" is exactly what my family of taste testers said.  Oh, they also said it was "good". High praise from my family of few words :)

I hope you're eating this with your eyes as well....enjoy!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , ,