Roasted Radishes - Oh My!

When we planted our raised bed garden, the thing I was most excited about was being able to have a seasonal abundance of our favorite veggies to do with as we pleased.

The first harvest we got yesterday was a bunch of radishes.  I brought them inside, washed them and then tasted one.  Oh Boy! This was unlike any radish I ever remember. My mouth about went into shock with it's tremendously sharp bite and the bitter, peppery surprise it held for me.  Even my eyes started to water.  I don't recall radishes ever packing that sort of punch before.  I started to wonder what in the world I was going to do with this bunch of firecrackers sitting on my kitchen counter.  I seriously doubted anybody would be brave enought to eat them raw and that these would surly overpower anything else they were added to.  I was a little stumped.




Then, I happen to be chatting with a twitter friend of mine, Winnie Abramson, of  Healthy Green Kitchen when she asked if I'd ever tried cooking radishes before?  Why no, as a matter of fact, I haven't.  She mentioned that she loves to add radishes to stir fry recipes. Wow! I'd never even considered cooking them before. That got me to thinking...

As of the past few years, one of my  favorite ways to cook vegetables has been to roast them at high temperatures in the oven.  Little did I ever think I'd actually be doing this with radishes.  But, can I tell you something?  It works and they're so yummy! 

ROASTED RADISHES     {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

1 bunch radishes, cleaned, and cut.
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste (pepper not needed)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons honey

-Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
-Place your radishes on a baking sheet (I lined my with aluminum foil).  Add the olive oil and hand toss the radishes to coat them in oil.  Sprinkle with salt and ground coriander.
-Roast them for 10 minutes and then, with a spatula, turn them and roast them for an additional 10-12 minutes until they're nice and brown.
 -Remove them from the oven and drizzle them with the honey.




Roasted Radish Recipe

Roasted Radish Recipe

You really must try this.  They're mild, they're slightly sweet and they now have a wonderful nutty flavor that you would not have expected, but it really works!  I can't wait for my next harvest of radishes so I can make these again soon!  Thanks for the inspiration Winnie.  I really appreciate it :)

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , ,