FFWD - Roasted Rhubarb Sauce

Having missed the past two weeks of "French Friday's With Dorie" I knew I'd have to push myself to get back on track and not miss a third week.  So I did, and I am glad.




I've never made or eaten rhubarb before although I've heard lots of people rave about it in pies and desserts.  When this recipe came along (page 397 of Around My French Table) I was anxious to give it a try.  If you've been here before, you know how much I love the roasting of all things food.  This recipe calls for roasting rhubarb.  Count me in!


So easy too. Pop the rhubarb, sugar and orange zest in the oven to roast and soften (wow, does it ever soften).  When it comes out, add some honey if desired (I desired). 

OK, now what do I do with this oddly textured mix?  The flavor is sweet and tart (one of my favorite combinations) but it doesn't look all that appetizing and how in the world will I photograph this mess stringy concoction?  I put my thinking cap on and decided to add a touch of vanilla and blend it to form a sauce and pour it over ice cream as one of Dories possible suggestions.  Bingo!


The end result was as pretty as it was tasty.   I can now boast to being a fan of rhubarb too.  I'll look forward to working with this tasty and unusual ingredient again.  Maybe I'll even add it into my garden next year.  It's a winner!

Speaking of winners, congratulations to Dorie Greenspan on another award winning cookbook!!!  I can't wait for your next one :)

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , , , , ,