FFWD - Mustard Batons

This recipe was one that was as easy as it was tasty.  A "no brainer" you might say, and one that would make an awesome accompaniment to a fancy cocktail party or just sitting out on the back deck during a summer evening with a small group of friends.  Sometimes it's the simple ones that are the best! Check it out...



I made only a few small changes to Dorie Greenspan's original recipe, found on page 15 of "Around My French Table".   I added a bit of honey to the Dijon mustard.  I also gave the mustard a light dusting of Parmesan cheese, black pepper and a bit of garlic powder.  Last but not least, along with the poppy seeds I sprinkled on some sesame seeds right before baking and ~ Viola! They were as delicious to look at as they were delicious to eat!









LOL, can you tell that I like to take a lot of pictures of my food?  If you've been here before, you certainly have noticed it.  I can't seem to help myself.  To me, it's almost as much fun as eating all the finished dishes... Almost :)

I certainly plan on making these light and flaky delicacies again.  Next time however, I think I'll experiment a bit further and maybe substitute some fruit preserves for the filling and even add a few slivers of nuts.  Or what about some cinnamon and sugar sprinkled either in the middle, top or both?  Or what about some aditional kinds of grated cheeses and some thinly sliced ham or turkey?  Or maybe... 

As you can see, the possibilities are as endless as your imagination can dream. Embrace the creativity!

I'll just bet I'll see a ton more wonderful variations of this recipe from all the talented cooks and bakers involved in the group: "French Friday's With Dorie".  I know you'll enjoy seeing their completed dishes too, so head on over and check them out. 

Next Friday we'll be posting Bistrot Paul Bert Pepper Steak and you won't want to miss it.  Mmmm, steak!

Until we eat again,

Labels: , , , , ,