Sweets For The Sweet

We're headed over to my father-in-law's house today to play some cards (Russian Rummy to be exact) and to take him out to dinner.   He is a wonderful man who just turned 90 last summer and remains active and spry.  I hope that if I live to be that age, I too will keep myself in as good of shape as he has, and does.

To show him how much he means to us, I baked him some cookies to take to him today.  They're healthy(hence the oatmeal) and yet sweet (the candy addition), just like he is and I hope that he enjoys eating them as much as I enjoyed making them for him.




CANDY COATED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES      {PRINT THIS RECIPE}

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup candy coated chocolates (I used mini m and m's)

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
-In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, oil, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.
-Beat in the eggs one at a time.
-Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients and blend until well combined.
-Stir in the oats and candy.
-Using a teaspoon, drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets.
-Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are a golden brown.
-Cool a few moments before removing from the baking sheets.





I'm thankful that I still have a good supply of bakery boxes left from my cookie business days. It makes for such a perfect way to present them to him as a gift without him concerning himself about returning a plate, and it sure as heck is a lot better than a zip lock baggie (not that there is anything wrong with that :) !



Or, if I wanted to do a blatent self promotion for my new custom painted ceramic tile boxes, I could show you here, how cute these look in this really awesome custom designed wooden box.  But alas, this isn't the time or the place *wink* but seriously, how cute is this??? 


I hope you enjoyed this fast and easy recipe for a classic cookie and if you're interested in finding out more information regarding my painted tile products, please drop me an email.  Thanks and please come again!


Labels: , , , ,