Keeping My Gingham In Check!

When Lana of Lana's Cooking got in touch with me saying that she would love for me to paint her blog header on one of my tiles for her, I could not have been more excited!  I've always loved the look and feel of Lana's food blog and was anxious to recreate it for her on a trivet/tile.  Little did I know that what I thought would be a no brainer for me to recreate (the gingham check) was actually the thing that caused me the most trouble.  But, never fear...I'll not rest until it meets with my own approval and I'm the pickiest person there is when it comes to my own work and sometimes I just have to learn to edit out some detail!

I don't usually start with the borders first, but the gingham check is such a fun and integral part of Lana's blog that I needed to nail that down first before I started with the font and wording.  Little did I know that my gingham check would soon be turning into a tartan plaid and try as I might, I could not stop myself.  You'll soon see what I mean.

Now here's where my (sometimes self proclaimed) over-attention to details takes me to the edge of the cliff. At this point there was no turning back and I had to stay committed to the tile and see where this lovely little gingham check would end I jumped in with both feet.  After all, what's the worst thing that could happen?

Please, don't get me wrong. Plaid is not the worst thing that could happen.  It just wasn't the look I happened to be going for at the time.  Sadly there was no way to fix it so I just needed to chalk this one up to over-deco-ritis and go back to the ol' painting palate the next day.   At least I was armed with new knowledge and a renewed spirit of the proverbial "gingham check"!  Bring it baby!

Now I won't bore you will all the steps again but you'll maybe notice one thing that I learned from my first attempt at painting gingham check.  I learned that I didn't need to squish so many lines together. The "less is more" theory of design is really paying off for me here and I'm feeling so much better about this blog tile now.

See the difference? I certainly do and I know that Lana does too :)

Food Blogger Trivet Tile

So there you have it.  Practice makes perfect (not that I'm saying my work is perfect) but I certainly have a distinct feeling of pride when it comes out like I pictured in my head.  Check please :)
Enjoy your tile Lana.  I know your blog design holds a truly special place in your heart and I appreciate the opportunity to be able to capture it for you on a tile.

Dear Readers: I'd love the opportunity you paint a trivet/tile for you too.  It's so easy to order.  Simply email me your design ideas and/or photos and I'll get back to you with a quote. It's fast, easy and fun and it's sure to be a great conversation piece and unique one-of-a- kind keepsake for you or someone you love...Priceless!

Fondly yours,

Labels: ,