My Zucchini Eggplant Bread

Yep, you read that right... "Zucchini Eggplant Bread".  So moist, so flavorful, so yummy!  So, here you go...


At the last farmers market of the season 'round these parts, I purchased some zucchini in order to make a few loaves of zucchini bread.  In that booth, right next to the zucchini was a nice pile of eggplants.  If you had been standing next to me, you would have seen the lightbulb go off in my head.  Ding!  Why not?  I asked myself.  Indeed, why not?


The ingredients (above) and the recipe:

4 eggs (only 3 shown in picutre)
2/3 cups granulated white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick unsalted melted butter
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups (about 2 medium) grated zucchini (unpeeled)
1 cup medium grated eggplant (peeled)
2 cusp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (not shown in the picture because it wasn't in my original plan)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup pine nuts (optional and not shown in the picture because it was a last minute addition)
sugar and cinnamon as additional topping


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare 2   8x4 inch loaf pans by spraying with non-stick baking spray.
Set aside.

Grate your zucchini and eggplant and add it to a colander. Press the vegetables to squeeze out as much water as possible.

Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl until frothy.  Slowly add the sugars and continue to whisk until totally combined.  Whisk in the butter, oil and vanilla.  Swap to a spoon and stir in the zucchini, eggplant and lemon zest.


In a meduim size bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, add the nuts (if desired) and stir with a spoon until just combined.  Try not to over mix.

Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans and sprinkle the tops with sugar and cinnamon.


Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpickinserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before loosening the edges with a knife and removing to cool completely on a wire rack.


We enjoyed one of these loaves with dinner that evening.  I didn't immediately tell my son the secret addition of the eggplant for fear it would scare him off.  That is... I didn't tell him until after his second piece.  At that point, I knew I'd be safe.  When I did, he just shrugged and said, "It's still good".  Music to a mom's ears!
The second one is beautifully frozen in the freezer.  Don't you just love one now, one later recipes?  I know I certainly do!

Labels: , , , ,