Making "Room" For Fitness

Today, July 8, 2010 officially marks my 9-month anniversary of being a non-smoker. It has been a long and tough road. Fortunately (and unfortunately), the thing that has pulled me through has been food. Lots and lots of food. Now that 9 months have passed, I can actually see the light at the end of this tunnel and I've come to the decision that I need to take charge of the other parts of my life as well. First being my weight!

When I get an idea in my head, I'm like a dog with a bone. You can try and wrestle it away from me, but odds are I'll try and bite you first. So when I had the brainstorm to turn our son's old bedroom into our new fitness room, all my husband Mark could do was shake his head and go along for the ride. So, bright and early on the fourth of July, we head off to our friendly neighborhood Home Depot to buy our new rubber flooring.

Room preparation comes next with the removal of the old, original carpet (approx. 30 years) and the old padding underneath. Yuck! We are left with a plain plywood floor (no pretty hardwoods here) and a bunch of staples to remove first. Oh, I forgot to mention that a few weeks back we totally repainted the room. It is now a very light gray color where as before it was a dark gray. It's hard to believe that it only took one coat of paint to cover the dark gray, but we had used the paint with the primer already mixed in and... What a treat! I highly recommend using that product.

The installation of the floor went rather quickly once all the prep work was done. That being said, while we were putting together our rubber 'puzzle piece' floor, Mark and I were wondering if we'd (I'd) made a giant mistake by choosing this particular application of flooring materials. We were not all that happy with the way the pieces fit together and the differences in thickness from one puzzle piece to the next. Still though, we continued on with hopes that the further we got the better we'd like it. Told you I'm stubborn :)

Yay! It's true! Once all the equipment was brought in and the room was officially ready to use, I could not have been happier with the outcome! I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed (yes, enjoyed) working out in this new room. It sure does beat the dingy old, spider webbed infested basement that I used to work out in so many moons ago. This one is bright and airy (with real windows) and has a real sense of purpose. I even have a mirror that I exercise in front of to use as my motivation. Yep scary now, but soon........

Now, I'm not crazy enough to tell you my weight (honestly, I don't even know it) or to show you my real "before" picture, but what I am willing to do is show you my image as seen in our patio door out on our backyard deck. This will have to suffice for when I track my journey with you. Hopefully as time goes on, I'll become braver and will maybe even show you an actual photo, but let's not go there just yet :) Oh, to another point, I don't want this to be about numbers on the scale. I want this to be more about how I'm feeling in my body, my clothes, my mind and my energy. So far I'm feeling the positive effects of heading in the right direction.

I truly hope you'll feel free to join me on my fitness journey and also share your stories if you're taking, or thinking of taking, the same path to health and fitness. Together we can make the changes that will lead to a happy, healthy and strong life.

For now and until later,

Labels: , , , , , , ,